Learn the Basics
- Enter Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial when searching by an individual’s name. Partial names, such as Doe, J for John A. Doe, are acceptable. Punctuation is optional.
- The entire name is not necessary. For example, you could use the keywords Little Red Sch instead of Little Red School House.
- Our records are indexed in alphabetical order.
- The registrations that come closest to your search criteria are listed first.
- If an exact match does not appear, you can scroll forward or backward using Previous List and Next List to view the names indexed before and after the current page.
- Click on a fictitious name to view detailed information about the registration.
- Search by document number: the error message Record Not Found means the document number does not exist in our records.
- Try again or search by name.
- Be sure to use the number zero (“0”) for all document numbers. The letter “o” is not acceptable.
- Search by name: the error message Records not found in that direction means the name is not registered with this office.
- Try again or search by the document number.
Know Your Search Options
You can search our database by:
- Fictitious Name – lists registrations alphabetically by name. Results include the address, county, and status of each record.
- Owner Name – lists fictitious name owners by their individual names. Results include the registered fictitious name, address, county, and if the person is the current or previous owner.
- Owner Document Number – lists fictitious name registrations owned by the business entity associated with the Charter/Document Number you entered. Results include the name, address, county, and status of the fictitious name. Multiple registrations may be listed for one Charter/Document Number.
- Owner’s FEI Number – lists the fictitious name registrations associated with the FEI number you entered. Results include the name, address, county and status of the fictitious name. Multiple registrations may be listed for one FEI number.
- County for Prior Week – lists all registrations filed in the prior week, indexed by county. Results include the name, address and filing date of each fictitious name.
- Registration Number – lists detailed information about the fictitious name registration associated with the assigned Department of State identification number.
Access and View Filed Documents
- Once you have searched and selected an entity or registration from the list of returns, you will be redirected to the entity or registration detail page.
- You can view a list of document filings from a registration’s detail page.
- Click View image in PDF format to access the document as a PDF.
- Click the document link to download a TIFF image.
- You can save or print a copy of the document.
- See Document Image System for more information.
Understand the Details
Refer to the following chart to understand the information displayed on the Fictitious Name Detail page: