Berea Tourism Art Accelerator Program Fellows
|Location||Berea , KY|
Berea Tourism is requesting applications for Fellows in the Berea Tourism Art Accelerator Program. The Art Accelerator Program provides emerging artists the opportunity to enhance their entrepreneurial skills as they contribute to the vibrant arts and crafts scene in Berea, the "Folk Arts and Craft Capital of Kentucky,” by:
- Working as active artists in a dynamic studio
- Interfacing with the community
- Working in outreach
- Stocking and managing a retail gallery Program Benefits:
- Shared studio and gallery space at Gallery 123 in the heart of Berea’s Artisan Village.
Studio space is approximately 15’ x 20’ and gallery is approximately 25’ x 40’. Studio equipment is the responsibility of the Fellow, but the studio does include an electric kiln, a spray booth, and some woodworking equipment (specifics available upon request).
- Eligible for matching grants of $1,000 from city for supplies and materials and low-interest loans from MACED (Mountain Association for Community Economic Development)
- Participation in shared booths at professional art shows such as Kentucky CRAFTED: The Market
- Income from Gallery sales (60% for Fellow from retail sales in Gallery, 95% on wholesale and custom orders)
- Participation in professional workshops such as the AIR Institute
- Monthly stipend of $1200
- Share in the responsibility of keeping Gallery 123 open 7 days per week from 10 AM to 5 PM. This responsibility is shared among 3-5 Fellows, so scheduling is somewhat flexible.
- Participate in outreach events that showcase the program and the artists such as Berea Arts Council’s Walk with the Arts
- Provide presentations or demonstrations at Gallery 123 for school and group tours
Calendar of events:
- Meet and Greet (Optional) – Applicants may make an appointment to visit the program.
- March 20, 2018 – Applications due
- March 26, 2018 – Review of Applications
- April 23, 2018 – Notification of accepted fellows
- July 1, 2018 – Start of Accelerator program for new residents
Where Are They Now?
Graduates of the Art Accelerator Program have gone on to open their own studios or galleries, become employed as producing artists or artists in residence, or pursued advanced degrees. Graduates have been juried into programs like the Kentucky CRAFT Market, the Kentucky Artisan Center, and the Kentucky Guild of Artists and Craftsmen and been featured in American Craft Week’s Rising Stars: 30 Exceptional Craftspeople under the age of 30.
How to Participate
Interested applicants should complete the attached application and provide
- a cover letter;
- a resume including education, employment history, including self-employment if applicable;
- artist’s statement;
- 5 - 10 images of current work (see formatting instructions below)
- image identification sheet including media, dimensions, date of production and;
- three letters of recommendation (at least one of which must be from a Berea College faculty or labor supervisor, when applicable.)
Please email completed documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org AND mail hard copy documents (include images on a cd) to:
Berea Tourism: Artist Accelerator 2018, #3 Artist Circle, Berea, KY 40403
*images should not exceed 2MB per image (1024 x 768 preferable) and should be titled: LastName_Title.jpg
Questions? Please contact Kerri Hensley, Berea Tourism Director, at email@example.com
This opportunity has been submitted by Judy Sizemore. The listing of the opportunity does not imply endorsement by the Division of Cultural Affairs or the Department of State. Contact Visit Berea with questions or for more information.